Friday, September 4, 2009

Can people change?

What a controversial question. Can people really change? I’ve talked with many that seem to think that real lasting change is just not possible. “People are who they are” or “you can’t change their nature” or “it’s just the way they are and always will be.” Have you heard this before? I understand where the statements come from; it is the voice of experience.

“If you only knew my ex-husband, you’d understand. He’s been this way his whole life. That’s not going to change. Oh he’s made efforts over the years, but he always goes back to center. He may even find someone to make him truly happy, it just won’t be me.” I personally know a lot of people that either believe this line of thought wholeheartedly or they fit into the camp that is being spoken about.

I also know of several people who defy this logic to the highest degree. A certain despised tax collector named Matthew who was probably living quite high on the hog from his job in biblical days. Another is named Paul; he persecuted Christians with great fervor and pride at one time. Then suddenly these men came face to face with Jesus. At that moment they were different, changed men from then on. You can read about their accounts in the Bible, they became two of Jesus’ closest friends, disciples who spread the message of Christ and ultimately gave their lives for the very cause they once stood against and tried to stamp out.

I also personally know of couples who lived sinful selfish destructive lives. One such couple, a wife was sleeping around while the husband was drinking himself into a stupor on a regular basis. Another couple was heading quickly into oblivion together for a time getting drunk on a regular basis, and then it turned into affairs etc. A third couple were both thought to be solid in their faith until the husband allowed sin to slowly creep into his heart and his growing lust for the “greener grass” that would surely make him happy overtook him. Neither of them saw it coming, nor did he recognize that his heart was hardening. It was too late.

I have encountered numerous couples who all share a similar story line. I believe God put them in my path to encourage me and open my eyes to the truth. Every single one of those couples has been redeemed from the pit of despair, sometimes neither one even wanting to work it out! All of them said they believed change wasn’t possible at one point. Then there was a moment for each of them, they came face to face with Jesus. He transformed their hearts and healed their marriages when the world around them said it just wasn’t possible. They now sing in chorus that they have twice the marriage as before!

If we don’t believe change is possible, we don’t leave room for God’s grace and mercy, his unfailing love. You say, “But they are already Christians! Wouldn’t they have changed already?” I have been a Christian since I was young, I knew I was saved and going to heaven. I even felt like I was a good Christian, doing good deeds, going on mission trips, etc. Let me tell you something though, for as good as I thought I was, perhaps even book smart in the Bible, I was “sucking up the field” in reality. (Pardon the crass language.) There are those who have faith in Christ who are saved. They live BECAUSE of him; they have the promise of eternal life. There is also discipleship. They live FOR him; they have all of his promises written on their hearts and take him up on them.

The truth is I was a becauser…I wasn’t the husband I was called to be, I thought I was a good guy with a good heart doing good things for good reasons. I wasn’t the father I was called to be, I thought I was a fairly involved dad who deeply loved his children. I wasn’t the leader I was called to be, my ego would have told you otherwise. I wasn’t even the friend I was called to be, although I would have given you the shirt off my back.

No, it wasn’t until this storm hit and I came face to face with a living God who held on tight to me. It wasn’t until I was willing to step out of the proverbial boat in the middle of my personal storm to meet Jesus walking on the water, to keep him in my focus so I wouldn’t sink; only then did I begin to transform into the man he called me to be. To die of self daily and live for him; all those words he spoke in the Bible began to come alive in my heart. I am my own best example of people being able to change. So you can challenge me on this one if you want, but the proof is in the changed lives that I have come into contact with, one of them stares at me in the mirror every day.

In Christ we can be husbands that desire to be servant leaders, having our spouse’s best interest at heart in every decision. We can create a warm and safe environment for our wives to flourish and help develop their walk with God, together as one. In Christ we can truly understand how to cherish our children who are on loan from God. We can raise them in the fruits of the Spirit and draw them closer to God as well. In Christ we can put our ego aside and our own ambitions and ask God what his will is for our lives, in ministry and work. In Christ we can reach out to strangers, call them our neighbor and love them as Christ loves us.

People can change, just not on their own accord. They need to come face to face with Jesus and be willing to follow him instead of just using him as a life vest for salvation. This is the path to an abundant life, amazing, full of joy and contentment. “I pray that you…may have power…to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ.” Ephesians 3:17-18 (NIV) He wants it for all of us. He’s waiting for us to take him up on the offer.

Jesus is very fond of you and so am I,
Brian


Today's song: Among The Thirsty - I'd Need A Savior
The video isn't great, but you can hear the song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE5bza6rIrs

How many names can I use to explain the love of my Jesus,
the life that he gave and so many times will I praise you today.
I lift up my life ‘cause you’re always the same
And my offering to you I bring

Chorus:
Your name is Jesus. Your name is Jesus.
You’re the Wonderful, Counselor, my Friend.
You’re what I hold on to; I know that you brought me through
All the days of loss, to the cross you knew
I’d need a Savior.

How many songs can I sing to proclaim your wondrous love and beauty so great?
What would I say if you brought down the rain and everyday
I walk through the pain my heart would still say…

(Chorus)

You’re what I hold on to; I know that you brought me through
All the days of loss, to the cross you knew
I’d need a Savior.
I’d need a Savior
I need you, Savior

No comments:

Post a Comment